Monday, December 06, 2010

[My Life] Fight Club Kenny

If you ask any of my friends, I am the first one to try to end a conflict then be the one to start one, so a funny thing happened to me a couple of weekends ago. I got into a fight. Yeah… I’ve had arguments with tons of people over the last few months, but it’s been years since I had a good old fashion tussle. It started off as a goodnight for the most part. I recognized a few faces, talked to some new people, reconnected with some others. I was surrounded by funny drunk people that seemed to go overboard with the antics with each drink. When I got there I had made the announcement that I was only going to have a ONE drink which was greeted to a chorus of boo’s. I guess too many people were accustom to me being some ones “Uncle Larry” at the party. So, the host of the party, sister had made me one of her famous concoction that was just too good to pass up and left me pretty buzzed.

To make a long story short, a guy was asked to leave and in the act of trying to get him to leave the building we ending up fighting in the hallway. I know I am cutting out the juicy parts, but this situation took place for over the span of an hour and I really do not want to rehash everything. Before the fight, I thought he was an okay dude, a little too touchy for my taste, but still okay. At some point doing the night, tension started to brew between us, so knowing my temperament I avoided being around him until the event that is. I didn’t win or lose. After it was all said and done, he had some kind of emotional breakdown and I had a sore throat from him choking me for a couple of hours and a busted hand for a few days from punching him in the face. No one died, did a fatality and No one went to jail, even through the NYPD was called and came, they did what they do best which was nothing at all. Hours later as I was walking home, I posted a message on Facebook saying that I was surprised that out of all the hood dudes at the party, I was the one that had the fight. When I woke up, hung over and sore, I was a hot topic amongst my friends. Yeah, that’s never a good look. It was kind of embarrassing that I let myself take it to that level but as I reflect on it now, I probably would end up just chilling with the guy and maybe have a beer or 2. This is where I take a moment so share what I learned from this experience:

  • I need to hit the gym because my body was all kinds of f-ed up afterwards and if I was in better shape I would’ve bounced back faster.
  • I need to learn how to NOT let the little annoyances people have affected me.
  • I am too old for that type of bullshit.
  • Glad no one videotaped the fight and uploaded it on Youtube.

Kenny.

Related Posts with Thumbnails